Every year, Freedom First awards nearly $10,000 in academic scholarships to exceptional students in the Roanoke and New River valleys. We are currently accepting applications for the following:
Charles Perkins served as general manager and president of Freedom First Credit Union from 1978 through 2000. Three (3) $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year in his name.
Fred D. “Fritz” Kehn, a former sheet metal foreman at General Electric in Salem, was one of the original members of the credit union and served as the first president beginning in 1956. His dedication continues as a member of the Board of Directors. One $1,000 scholarship is awarded each year in his name.
Frank Turk served as president of the City of Salem Employees Credit Union from 1978 to 2004. City of Salem Employees Credit Union joined with Freedom First in 2004; Frank Turk was elected to the Freedom First Board of Directors in 2004. One $1,000 scholarship is awarded each year in recognition of the City of Salem Employees Credit Union.
- Must be a high school senior or college student with a minimum of a full semester remaining until degree
- Must be a member of Freedom First Credit Union
- For City of Salem/Frank Turk Scholarship, applicants must have an employment relationship with the City of Salem, City of Salem School Division, or Blue Ridge Behavioral Healthcare
- Download and complete the application form and appropriate attachments
- An official transcript from high school (if currently a high school senior) or college (if you are currently enrolled in college)
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a teach, school counselor, or school administrator
The above information must be received by 3:00 p.m. on April 8, 2016. Please allow appropriate time for postal mail to be delivered. You may forward to the following address or FAX:
Freedom First Credit Union
Attn: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1999
Salem, VA 24153
Or EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or FAX: (540) 378-8952